We're taking the day off in observance of President's Day, and while we appreciate the long weekend, we can't help but start daydreaming about warmer times ahead—and the vacations we hope to be taking once summer descends. And we're not really getting too far ahead ourselves here: after all, if you're planning on getting yourself a longer-term vacation rental this summer, the time to start booking is now.
Below, our best tips and guides for navigating the world of vacation housing outside the city:
- For those of us who can't commit to a full-on summer rental house, check out these beach club options just outside the city.
- Everything you need to know if you want to rent a Hamptons house for the summer.
- And for the more budget-minded Hamptons visitor, how to set up a summer share with your friends.
- Get to know the Hamptons' lower-key, but increasingly coveted, neighbor on Long Island, the North Fork.
- Live out all your Dirty Dancing summer vacation dreams by renting a retro bungalow in the Castkills.
- Forget the fist bumps—and consider a getaway to the Jersey Shore.
- And don't discount the calmer beaches you'll find up north in Connecticut.
- Not sure where to start your search? We've got a guide to all the major vacation rental search sites.
- And if you're thinking of buying, here's what to know about mortgages for vacation homes.