Share this Article
It was a pretty buggy summer, but just because that season is fading doesn't mean critters are gone altogether.
In fact, some pests (like rodents) move indoors during the winter to stay warm, which is why we're dedicating this week's SurvivalList roundup to posts that help you deal with unwanted rommates.
Assuming you want to avoid rodents (and we think that's a pretty safe assumption), you may want to consult our post on the two top mouse-free luxury rentals, one about keeping rats off of your outdoor space, and another on just how effective those ultrasonic mouse repellents really are.
You may also pick up some tips (or at least feel better about your own possible infestation) when you read the tale of one New Yorker who found a mouse in his suit pocket, or even worse, one who found a rat poking out of the toilet.
If it's cockroaches plaguing you, you many want to try these roach exterminating tips.
Of course, there are the lesser-known pests, too, like meal/pantry moths, stink bugs, wasps, waterbugs and centipedes (beware: they like brick walls). And we've got just about everything you ever need to know about bed bugs, courtesy of our Bedbugged! column.
So have no fear, when it comes to critters we've got you covered.
Bugs, bugs everywhere
- Ask an Expert: Die, roaches, die
- Rental Rookie: It's a jungle in here
- The creep show inside your trash chute
Living in a mouse (or rat) house?
- Tied for #1 in mouse-free luxury rentals: Related and Glenwood
- One morning, I found a mouse in my suit pocket...
- NYC Real(i)ty Speak: Mice.
- Rats (and why some people think they make great pets)
- Pardon me, but is that a rat in your toilet?
- A new bug to hate, and this one stinks.
- Beyond bed bugs - wasps, waterbugs, ants and more
- The meal moth takes Manhattan
All about extermination
- Tips for de-ratifying your outdoor space
- 10 minutes with Mark Loffredo, exterminator: Biggest fear? Bringing bed bugs home
- What to do about that rat in your toilet
- Do ultrasonic mouse repellents really work?
- Hold that hotdog! 4 ways to rat-proof your patio before the other guests arrive
- Cool Stuff: A better way to zap your mouse problem
Pre-empting an infestation
- Can you get bed bugs or lice from a communal laundry room?
- 3 things you should know about exposed brick walls, like centipedes
- City says roaches prefer hipsters, dim sum to WASPs, Park Ave
All about bed bugs
- Bedbugged! column
- About that bed bug insurance bill....
- My big fat fake bed bug scare
- Finally, a breakthrough in bed bug detection