Along with a sitcom-sized apartment, we’d all love to have a Monica/Rachel -Joey/Chandler neighbor situation where your neighbor also happens to be your best friend.
In NYC reality, though, neighbors can be nuisances. In this week's SurvivalList we've rounded up some of our favorite neighbor-focused BrickUnderground posts to help you deal with just about any situation.
Whether your problems are odor/smoke related--say, dealing with constant cigarette smoke or a serious pot smoker--noise related, like loud sex and pianos, or even more serious--like living next door to a brothel--we can give you some pointers.
Of course, all of that (yes, even the brothel) seems like child’s play if you’ve got a neighbor you suspect has bed bugs.
Even if you get along swimmingly with your (bug-free) neighbors, there are some issues that might arise -- like laundry room etiquette and whether or not it's cool (or even legal) to leave strollers/shoes in common spaces.
Then there are those neighborly conundrums even live on after death -- like how soon is too soon to ask a loved one about the availability of the deceased's apartment?
Odors, noise, crime and other neighborly nuisances
- Help with nude, smoking neighbors
- B.O. in the gym
- A novel approach to dealing with the pot-smoker next door
- A message from your pothead neighbor
- Renting next to potheads
- Dealing with cigarette smoke
- Soundproofing tips
- Help with a noisy piano player
- When a neighbor's sex life is just too loud
- 8 worst neighbors imaginable
- Most annoying home-based businesses
- Sure, you try to keep to yourself, but it's only natural to want to know why your neighbor was arrested
- What to do about that brothel in your building -Part 1 & Part 2
Neighbors with bed bugs
What if you're the annoying neighbor?
- How to keep your reno from bothering the neighbors
- How not to alienate neighbor when you renovate
- Renovation gifts for neighbors, above and beyond the warning letter
- Maybe your dog barks too much
- Maybe you need to have sex more quietly
- Better shape up before you get booted from your co-op
Strategies for dealing with the neighbors
- Tattle when the dog pees in the elevator?
- Tips for dealing with crazy/harrassing nabes
- Probably not a great idea to hook up with your neighbor
- The perfect form letter to that annoying nabe
- Just make sure to sign the letter
- When the landlord is the annoying nabe
- Wifi revenge
- Top 10 neighbors we'd like to have
- At last! You've outlived the PITA next door. Is it too soon to make an offer on her apartment