We at BrickUnderground are huge fans of vertical living (duh). But we are not deaf, dumb, blind or anosmiac (look it up). Herewith, the 10 grossest things about living vertically:
- Sharing washing machines and dryers with people you wouldn't share a cab with.
- Opening the trash chute and someone else's garbage flies past your face.
- Hallway cooking smells.
- Hearing neighbor sounds, especially in/from the bathroom.
- Basement gyms with 20 years of accumulated b.o.
- Two words: Bed bugs.
- Thinking your roommate bought wild rice but realizing the brown 'grains' are mice poop.
- The feeling of being spied upon by creepy building staff.
- Breathing other people's smoke, dust, polyurethane and heaven-only-knows-what through the vents.
- Public spaces used for private activities and/or interesting trash raining down on your terrace from above - The 'water balloons' your kids found were actually used condoms.