The dance between Manhattan and Brooklyn rents, following New Yorkers on the move, & more
lechatnoir/E+ via Getty Images
This week, Brick Underground readers were interested in our coverage of a phenomenon that occurs in the New York City rental market: How the difference between Manhattan and Brooklyn rents change. In recent years, Brooklyn has become a destination in its own right, and commands high rents that come close to rivaling what you find in Manhattan. But that gap narrows and expands depending on the economy.
Also of interest: A recent installment in our Transitions series, which follows New Yorkers as the move from one neighborhood to another, this time Hell's Kitchen to the Upper East Side.
Here are this week's top five posts:
1. Gap widens between Manhattan and Brooklyn median rents as demand for luxury rentals surges
2. From Hell’s Kitchen to the UES: We traded a cramped rental for a larger space in a fancy neighborhood
3. 7 surprising dealbreakers that might sink your NYC co-op or condo sale
4. NYC's Prohibited Buildings List banning short-term rentals goes live
5. An affordable housing lottery opens for 42 apartments in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn