We have to admit that we're suckers for some good amenities. I mean a FreshDirect room to hold our groceries until we get home? Yes please. An in-building Wi-Fi connected place to do some work without the sounds of a screaming toddler or the noisiness of Starbucks? Where do we sign up?
For this week's SurvivalList, we've turned our attention to amenities -- those little in-building perks that can feel like icing on the real estate cake.
We've also daydreamed about amenties we wish we had (like a stroller service station and technology concierge) and ones we'll probably never have (like one free Saturday babysitting included every month) and can only dream of.
But not all amenities are as good as they sound, so we've got posts on how to handle amenities gone awry-- like who's responsible for a storage locker burglary that was the super's fault or what happens when a flood or rats ruin your stuff stored down in the basement. We even have a solution for bike-room overcrowding.
Find Your Next Home
We also delve into the importance of amenities, like the never-ending debate of location vs. amenities (can great amenities make up for a less-than-great location?) and cover which amenities are, indeed, most important (answer: the one's you'll actually use.. and gyms).
For these, and more posts on amenities, click on the links below:
- Virtual Doorman: Service and security without the expense (or tips)
- Cool stuff: FreshDirect vending machines for your apartment building?
- Free WiFi "the minimum cost of doing business" in newer buildings
- The Technology Concierge... and 6 other amenities we'd like to see
- 10 Things Your Building Should Have (But Doesn't)
Amenities gone wrong
- Storage locker burglary was the super's fault. Who pays?
- Rats ate the photos in your storage bin? Tough.
But how important are they anyway?
- What matters more: Location or amenities?
- Was your bowling lane born in a PR conference room?
- In-house gyms lose their cool, which is why you need one
- Which amenities really matter?
- How high is too high for a roof deck?
- Why banning renters from the roof deck is a dumb idea
- Antidote to bike-room waiting lists needs your help now
- Three way$ to WiFi your common space