Believe it or not, laundry is a pretty hot topic for NYC-dwellers, where an in-home washer/dryer is the golden ticket of apartment living. Meanwhile, those of us not fortunate enough to have one must navigate the communal laundry room and the frenemenies who lurk there.
So this week's SurvivalList is all about laundry -- from tips on getting approved for a washer-dryer to the consequences of installing an illicit in-unit washer-dryer to advice on dryer safety (inspired by none other than Robert DeNiro). We even have a true confession from one washer-dryer smuggler.
In-unit W/D a no-no and you're not up to bucking the powers that be? You may want to check out our review of a hand-powered "washing machine."
And if the hand-powered W/D just isn't enough (and it almost certainly is not), we'll help you navigate that communal laundry room -- advising on proper laundry room etiquette, the likelihood of catching pests from a communal laundry room and we even introduce you to a laundry room happy hour -- a magical time when the laundry machines are available and neighbor chit-chat isn't required.
For these posts, and more, click on the links below.
Find Your Next Home
In-home washing machine rules and tips:
- Ask an Expert: Can I get pre-approved for a washer-dryer?
- Robert DeNiro new poster child for NYC dryer safety
- UES buyers sue for $256K deposit after discovering washer-dryer ban. Will they get it back?
- Ask an Expert: The consequences of an illicit washer-dryer
- Condos trounce co-ops 3-to-1 in washer-dryer bragging rights
- Ventless dryers not so bad after all
- A washer-dryer in every apartment?
- Why your high-efficiency washing machine smells like cat pee: The official story
- Is it okay to allow washer-dryers in just a few apartments?
Washing machine woes:
- NYC Real(i)ty Speak: A little laundry motivation
- Ask an Expert: Advice for choosing a new laundry room vendor
- Hands off my laundry! (Video)
- "Acceptance" issues thwart progressive co-op laundry room; residents flee to laundromat
- The poop on "diapers-only" machines for laundry rooms
- I lost my job but found the best time to do laundry
- Can you get bed bugs or lice from a communal laundry room?
- Dear Ms. Demeanor: Barbarians in the laundry room
- NYC Real(i)ty Speak: Laundry room lip service