Share this Article
But seasoned New Yorkers know some of the best perks are more subtle.
Here are a few of our top picks:
- A circular driveway is ideal as a loading zone, but a fire-hydrant in front of your building can work just as well.
- Speaking of transportation, the income from the in-building garage keeps co-op maintenance charges low and your car oh-so-convenient. Runner up: A garage you can walk to instead of taxi to.
- Your master bedroom doesn't share a wall with anyone in your family OR anyone in your building.
- Your super accepts tips only at Christmas.
- You have 3 rowdy boys and you live above an elderly hearing-impaired couple who spends winters in Arizona and summers in the Hamptons.
- Your kids' pediatrician and/or your dermatologist has an office on the first floor.
- Recent rezoning of public schools moves you into the zone you wanted but could not afford. (Or, you could care less about the new zone, but your apartment is worth substantially more by those who do.)
- The rent from the adjacent studio you bought pays for the renovation you plan to do on your apartment in two years.
- The 30-year-old commercial lease finally expires downstairs, and your co-op signs a new tenant at today's prices, cutting your monthly maintenance payments in half.
- Washer/dryer. Garbage disposal. Outside-vented exhaust fan over your stove. Central air.
- Subway stop near enough to sprint to in a rainstorm but just out of rumbling distance.
- Who are we kidding? Just being in the NYC real estate game is a hole-in-one.
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.