The Real.Est List
The top 10 NYC real estate myths
We hate to be the bearers of bad news, but in NYC real estate, even the most basic assumptions turn out to be fantasy.
We're not really positive whether this list features the top 10 most flagrant examples, but we're pretty sure that it can shave a good 5 years off your learning curve if you're new around here:
- Security deposits will be returned in a timely fashion.
- The super is on duty 12 months a year (not just Thanksgiving through Christmas)
- Co-op boards shred applications after reading them (and your net worth doesn't cross the mind of each board member everytime they see you in the elevator thereafter).
- Brownstones are as quiet as they are charming.
- Pet-friendly means the dog can stay.
- Holiday tips are for a job well done.
- New construction means move-in ready
- Your broker is working exclusively on your behalf.
- There are fewer airborne pests on higher floors.
- Moving to a good school zone means your kid will actually be able to attend that school.