Struggling to pay rent or facing eviction? Here are 5 NYC programs that might help [Update]

Programs like the City Family Homelessness & Eviction Prevention Supplement can help qualifying New Yorkers who are struggling to pay rent and are facing eviction.


Share this Article

New York Housing Court is set to reopen for in-person trials next month, and the state’s eviction ban extension is set to expire. If you are one of many New Yorkers who lost work because of the pandemic and are having trouble paying rent or are facing eviction, you may be in need of some immediate assistance.

There are some city and state programs that may be able to help. The city’s One Shot Deal, for example, offer one-time assistance, while others provide a long-term solution. Every program has specific qualifications based on income, need, and risk of homelessness.

If you are facing eviction, you may have the right to counsel, meaning an attorney may be available to represent you at no cost in housing court. You must be low income and live in specific zip codes within the five boroughs. Households in these areas that earn below 200 percent of the federal poverty line, or less than $25,520 a year for an individual or less than $52,400 for a family of four in NYC, can qualify.

You can also find rental assistance and eviction prevention through private charities like Catholic Charities, so if you belong to a religious group, have a disability, or are part of the LGBTQ community, it’s worth reaching out to charities in your community to see if they can provide any guidance or assistance.

To make things a little easier, Brick Underground has rounded up five programs that might be able to help you with your rent.

Covid Rent Relief Program

The Covid Rent Relief Program is run by the Department of Homes and Community Renewal for renters who cannot pay rent specifically because of Covid-related hardships. The deadline is today, and you are eligible to apply for up to four months of relief. The one-time payment is sent directly to your landlord to offset the difference in rent due to loss of income. [Editor's Note: DHCR extended the application deadline to August 6th.]

One Shot Deal

The city’s One Shot Deal program provides emergency assistance if you cannot pay things like rent or utilities, due to an unexpected situation. Some situations that qualify for the program include risk of homelessness, eviction, and utility shutoff. Keep in mind that you’ll likely have to pay back your assistance. You can find out more and apply by creating an Access HRA account. 

City Family Homelessness & Eviction Prevention Supplement

CityFHEPS is a rental assistance supplement to help you keep your apartment. To qualify, your household income must be at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty line and meet one of the four criteria, such as someone in your household served in the Armed Forces and is at risk of homeless. Note: This program replaced previous rental assistance programs like the Living in Communities Rental Assistance program and the Special Exit and Prevention Supplement. 

Family Homelessness & Eviction Prevention Supplement

FHEP provides rent supplements to families with children who receive Cash Assistance and are facing eviction or have been evicted due to domestic violence or health and safety issues at their home. The program is currently being transitioned from the State to the City. 

Coalition for the Homeless Eviction Prevention 

Coalition for the Homeless’s eviction prevention program offers one-time grants of an average of $1,000 to pay your back-rent if you can demonstrate the ability to pay your rent going forward. You must also be in court and have a court stipulation to qualify. To apply, you have to make an appointment by calling their hotline at 212-776-2039 on Wednesday or Friday mornings beginning at 9:30 a.m.