Affordable Housing

Housing lottery opens for 45 apartments in Far Rockaway, Queens

  • Renters who earn $35,418 to $91,500 are eligible to apply and rents start at $947 for a studio
  • The 117-unit building has a laundry room, recreation room, and elevator
Celia Young Headshot
By Celia Young  |
September 7, 2023 - 9:30AM
A rendering of 21-20 Nameoke Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens.

A rendering of 21-20 Nameoke Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens.

NYC Housing COonnect

Housing lottery applications are open for 45 rent-stabilized apartments at a new development in Far Rockaway, Queens. New Yorkers who earn $35,418 to $91,500 are eligible to apply, depending on the size of the household. Rents start at $947 for a studio.

The building at 21-20 Nameoke Ave. has a laundry room, recreation room, and elevator. It’s located near the Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue A subway station and the Far Rockaway stop on the Long Island Rail Road. 

Developed by the Federation of Organizations, the building holds 117 total units between Hassock Street and Nameoke Avenue. The Federation—plus CSD Housing, Urban Architectural Initiatives, and Mega Contracting Group—topped out the building in May, according to a press release from the Federation.

Roughly 60 percent of the eight-story property’s units are supportive housing reserved for formerly homeless or persons with special needs, while the other 40 percent are available through the lottery.  

These apartments are set aside for New Yorkers earning from 60 percent of the area median income (AMI)—a metric that depends on the size of your household. Currently the AMI for New York City is $113,000 for a two-person household. The apartments available include studios, one-, and two-bedroom apartments. 

There are 30 one-bedroom apartments available for households earning between $44,263 and $76,260. The rent for these units is $1,193. 

Applications must be submitted online or postmarked no later than Oct. 26th.

If you’re interested and think you might qualify for one of these apartments, you can create a profile and apply online via NYC Housing Connect. For details on this particular lottery, click here. Don’t apply more than once, or you could be disqualified.

Winning a rent-stabilized apartment can be life changing: Rent increases are capped and lease renewals are automatic, providing long-term stability for NYC renters. Need more information on how the housing lottery works? Check out “6 steps for applying to NYC's affordable housing lottery.”

For some advice from successful applicants read “How to land a rental apartment through NYC's affordable housing lottery.” And if you or someone you know is having trouble with the application process, consider reaching out to a housing ambassador in the community.

Note: Brick Underground is in no way affiliated with New York City’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development or the Housing Development Corporation. If you are interested in applying to these or other affordable housing developments, please go to NYC Housing Connect for information and instructions.

Have you successfully won an apartment through the affordable housing lottery? If you have first-person advice to share about the process, we’d love to hear from you. Please send us an email. We respect all requests for anonymity.


Celia Young Headshot

Celia Young

Senior Writer

Celia Young is a senior writer at Brick Underground where she covers New York City residential real estate. She graduated from Brandeis University and previously covered local business at the Milwaukee Business Journal, entertainment at Madison Magazine, and commercial real estate at Commercial Observer. She currently resides in Brooklyn.

Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.