Affordable Housing

An affordable housing lottery opens for 127 apartments in Bedford Park, the Bronx

  • Rents start at $362 and applicants who earn $0 to $132,400 are eligible
Headshot of Emily Myers
By Emily Myers  |
March 23, 2023 - 9:35AM
Rendering of red brick and sandstone apartment building in the Bronx

A rendering of The Bronx Grove in Bedford Park where studios, one, two, and three bedrooms are available through a new housing lottery.

NYC Housing Connect

Housing lottery applications are open for 127 newly constructed apartments at The Bronx Grove, 270 East 203 St. in Bedford Park. Applicants who earn $0 to $132,400 are eligible, depending on the size of the household. Rents start at $362 for a studio.

The available apartments include studios, one, two, and three bedrooms. 

Applicants need to be earning from 30 percent to 80 percent of the area median income (AMI) to qualify. AMI depends on how many people you live with. Currently the AMI for New York City is $106,800 for a two-person household. 

The building received funds to provide supportive housing for the most vulnerable New Yorkers including those who are formerly homeless and disabled. These individuals will receive 60 percent of the apartments and the other 40 percent are available through the lottery.

The apartments all have energy efficient light fixtures and appliances to reduce utility costs. Tenants are responsible for paying electricity bills, including the electric stove. The building also has a landscaped courtyard, access to a computer room, laundry and fitness rooms. 

The nearest subway station is Bedford Park Boulevard for the B and D trains. 

The developers have set aside 50 percent of the rent-stabilized apartments for applicants who already live in the area. Another 5 percent of the apartments will be preferentially given to NYC employees. A small percentage of the apartments are also set aside for residents with mobility, vision, and hearing needs. 

Applications must be submitted online or postmarked no later than April 11th.

If you’re interested and think you might qualify for one of these apartments, you can create a profile and apply online via NYC Housing Connect. For details on this particular lottery, click here. Don’t apply more than once, or you could be disqualified.

Winning a rent-stabilized apartment can be life changing: Rent increases are capped and lease renewals are automatic, providing long-term affordability for NYC renters. Need more information on how the housing lottery works? Check out “6 steps for applying to NYC's affordable housing lottery.”

For some advice from successful applicants read “How to land a rental apartment through NYC's affordable housing lottery.” And if you or someone you know is having trouble with the application process, consider reaching out to a housing ambassador in the community.

Note: Brick Underground is in no way affiliated with New York City’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development or the Housing Development Corporation. If you are interested in applying to these or other affordable housing developments, please go to NYC Housing Connect for information and instructions.

Have you successfully won an apartment through the affordable housing lottery? If you have first-person advice to share about the process, we’d love to hear from you. Please send us an email. We respect all requests for anonymity.


Headshot of Emily Myers

Emily Myers

Senior Writer/Podcast Producer

Emily Myers is a senior writer, podcast host, and producer at Brick Underground. She writes about issues ranging from market analysis and tenants' rights to the intricacies of buying and selling condos and co-ops. As host of the Brick Underground podcast, she has earned four silver awards from the National Association of Real Estate Editors.

Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.