Here at BrickUnderground, we've devoted a lot of time to every kind of nightmare neighbor, from a knife-tossing maniac to a full-on prostitution ring. But what actually makes a good neighbor in such close quarters? Depends on your preferences: Are you a morning person or a night owl? A dog-loving stoner, or a wine-guzzling cat person? Whatever your preference, we've got a few ideas of who we'd be next door in an ideal world:
1. A firefighter. Self-explanatory.
2. A responsible high school student. Translation: Cheap, last-minute babysitting and no cab fare.
3. A downstairs neighbor who works from 3pm to 11pm. Another one for the parents out there: someone who's only home when your kids are at school, and won't mind—or ever actually hear—your offspring when they start running laps around the apartment.
4. The owner of a cute (and quiet!) dog/baby. Or really, anything small and adorable that you can pat on the head occasionally without having to worry about feeding or cleaning up after.
5. An AppleCare specialist. An in-house IT whiz is way more valuable than a handyman.
6. A pied-a-terre-owner. Ah, silence.
7. A chef or culinary student. Really, anyone in the foodservice industry—chances are they'll come home from their shifts with bags full of extra food. Bonus points if they're on a diet and don't want all those pastries hanging around.
8. A wine distributor. They'll always have spare bottles to share. (Also good: beauty editors, who come with makeup samples they're hoping to unload.)
9. Anyone with a flatscreen, premium cable, an Xbox, and lots of spare time on their hands. Best when combined with item number 8.
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.