3. All reference to good NYC vs bad NYC start and end with former Mayor Koch.
4. If you didn't live in NYC during the Summer of 1977 or 9/11, you aren't really a NYer.
5. You know exactly how many minutes it takes you to go from your front door to the subway entrance and can time it so that you get on the platform 2 minutes before the next train pulls in so you can push your way into the car without getting crushed.
6.The dry cleaner, laundry, bodega & liquor store clerk know you by name and the names of your children as they make sure they get to your building safely.
7. Even after you leave NYC and see a celebrity you can still ignore them.
8. You look with disdain on those who moved to The City to have a SATC experience - either as Carrie looking for Mr. Big or Mr. Big running through all those Carries.
9. Your parents never supported you financially to live in NYC a la "Girls" and you would never consider even asking them to buy dinner much less pay your rent.
10. And finally, no matter how long ago you left NYC you will always and forever think of yourself as a NYer and constantly plot plan curse or do whatever it takes to get back there. Even if you have to live in Brooklyn.
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.