There are lots of reasons to avoid ground floor apartments: Street and lobby noise, proximity to vermin, sidewalk cigarette smoke, and exposure to Peeping Toms, to name a few.
But living in Apartment Numero Uno comes with its own set of hazards. In a doorman- or super-free building, Buzzer #1 (or, alternatively, #1A) is the default code for everyone else’s problem, including:
- The contractor remodeling the vacant apartment upstairs
- The fashionista who lost her keys at 2 a.m.
- Restaurant delivery guys in a hurry
- Real estate agents showing the vacant unit down the hall
- The signature-seeking UPS guy
Of course, it's not all bad news: In a fire, you'll be the first one out.