Realty Bites

Does apartment insurance cover office equipment if I'm working from home?

Austin Havens-Bowen
By Austin Havens-Bowen  |
February 8, 2021 - 9:30AM

You should make sure your employer has coverage if they own the equipment.


I’m working from home for the foreseeable future and my employer provided me with a computer, monitor, and printer. Does my apartment insurance cover company-owned devices if something were to happen to them?

If you’re working from home and using equipment that is owned by your employer, your apartment insurance doesn’t cover them, but you’re not totally out of luck if something happens.

Jeff Schneider, president of Gotham Brokerage (a Brick Underground sponsor), says that’s because apartment insurance covers property that you own, but your employer should have coverage for their equipment, which would cover certain damages.

But, if your employer determines that you’re liable for the damage and charges you for the repairs, you might be able to file a liability claim on your renter’s insurance, but it will depend on your insurer, according to Policygenius.

Your renter’s policy covers fire damage, water damage, and theft if you’re using your own equipment to work from home, like your personal laptop, or if your employer gave you a stipend to buy devices that they’re letting you keep. But, there are a couple of things to consider.

[Editor's Note: Realty Bites tackles your NYC rental questions. Have a query for our experts? Drop us an email. We respect all requests for anonymity.]

For example, software-related issues are not covered. “If your computer starts to have glitches, then it’s not covered,” Schneider says. 

Also, if you’re using your own devices and have added more gear to your home office, you should look into how much renter’s coverage you have. Your computer and gear would be covered, but your pre-Covid policy might not be enough. 

Your policy might also have a limit on how much it pays for the loss of a laptop, usually around $2,000, which is another reason to extend your coverage, as per Policygenius. 

You should calculate how much your computers, monitors, printers, tablets, and any other devices that you use for work costs. Schneider says if you’re using high-end equipment or sophisticated devices, like large-scale printers, then you want to add at least $5,000 to $10,000.

And, if you’re running an at-home business, rather than working from home for an employer, the equipment would not be covered by your basic policy and you would need to add extra coverage.


Austin Havens-Bowen

Austin Havens-Bowen


Austin Havens-Bowen is a writer and reporter. He previously covered local news for the Queens Ledger and The Hunts Point Express in the Bronx. He graduated from Hunter College with a BA in media studies. He rents a one-bedroom apartment in Astoria with his boyfriend and their two cats.

Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.