While finding a decent NYC rental in your price range and neighborhood is not (quite) a Game of Thrones battle quest, it does demand the ability to spot overly optimistic or blatantly untrue statements by anyone who stands to profit if you sign a lease. Such as a rental agent who stands to collect a commission. Below, a dozen of the most common "truthy" things you may be told. Do your homework, and if at all possible, get it in writing.
1. "It’s a 10-minute commute to Midtown."
2. "You can put up a wall."
3. "The pool will be ready by summer."
4. "This landlord never raises the rent."
5. "No one ever uses the pool/roof/gym."
6. "It’s pet friendly."
7. "No one is ever going to build across the street."
8, "This building is zoned for [insert desirable public school]."
9. "The bedroom fits a king-sized bed."
10. "This place will be gone by the end of the day."
11. "The neighborhood really quiets down at night."
12. "I loved working with you."
You Might Also Like