Desperate to escape the humid mess that is the city this summer, but can’t quite fathom how you’ll lug all your beach gear on the subway?
No need to worry. Here are some lightweight items that should make that train trip as easy as a day at the beach. Who needs to spend $100-plus on a Zipcar?
- Portabella Portable Beach Umbrella, $39.95: This full-size beach umbrella folds up into a 24-inch, six-pound bundle
- 3-in-1 Portable Beach Mat with Cooler and Storage Compartments, $23.50: Don’t like laying directly in the sand? Try this beach mat that doubles as a lounger, instead. It also folds up into a tote with storage areas for a towel and sunscreen, and even offers an insulated cooler compartment.
- Wine2Go Foldable Wine Bottle, $11.99: No need to weigh down your beach bag with a glass bottle. This reusable, foldable wine container can hold an entire bottle of your favorite red or white.
- Microfiber travel towel, $21.95: This fast-drying anti-bacterial towel comes with its own mesh carrier, so at the end of the day you won’t have to shove a wet, sandy towel in with the rest of your beach stuff.
- Saltwater Canvas Mesh Whale Bag, $35.97: This sturdy, but lightweight mesh bag has nine pockets (including a zippered one for your cell phone), a hook for your keys, and enough space to cram six (!) towels.
For more, read “8 Beach Essentials That Are Easy to Schlep on the Subway.”
In Case You Missed It: Every so often, BrickUnderground digs through the archives to find the best advice our experts have shared through the years.