Planes, trains, and automobiles, garbage trucks and street parties. New Yorkers are immune to all sorts of noise.
But what about loud neighbors? How tolerant are we of them? We asked five New Yorkers whether they would rather live beneath three boys under the age of ten next door to a screaming, squeeking, seemingly sex-addicted couple?
- The boys That’s a hard one (pun intended). I think I’d rather live under three young boys. At least they’ll be sleeping at night. -Joyce, Sunnyside
- Sex addicts I would say that with three boys that young you’re in for longterm -- years and years--torture. I’d rather arm myself with ear plugs and take my chances on sleep while my neighbors and their addictions run their nightly course. - Mya, Harlem
- The boys My young nephews are crazy active, but they’re in bed by 8 p.m. and the house goes quiet. Of course, they’re up early on weekends, and run around. But I’ll bet parents will be the first ones to want them out the house, in playgroups or classes. So, I’ll say no thanks to the sex addicts! - Gem, Upper East Side
- The boys I’d rather have three young boys living above me. I couldn’t face my neighbors in the elevator knowing what they get up to (and how much of it) in their apartment. I’d be too afraid of accidentally greeting them by their genitalia’s nicknames. - Chris, Morningside Heights
- Sex addicts I’d go for the sex addicted couple. They’re more likely to have a positive effect on my love life than three raging boys would -Anna, Park Slope
Verdict: Boys, 3; Sex Addicts, 2
Winner: The boys!