Affordable housing is a huge, and hugely important, issue in NYC...but it's not the only way to win or lose NYC's real estate vote.
Find Your Next Home
If Joe Lhota and Bill De Blasio really want to become mayor, all they need to do is promise all (or even just a couple!) of the following to New Yorkers:
- A mandatory washer-dryer with every apartment.
- A weekend in the Hamptons with every rent or property tax increase.
- Third year free for all market-rate renters.
- Third broker's fee free for ALL renters.
- Hotel credits for visiting guests (read: in-laws) so they never have to squeeze into a New Yorker's cramped apartment again.
- A law requiring neighborhood bodegas to deliver any and all items at any time during the day or night.
- A monthly $150 Fresh Direct stipend for every New Yorker living in a 3rd floor or higher walkup.
- City-funded pest-eradication expenses and full tax deductibility of all related expenses (including the cost to replace your bed bug infested furniture).
- Requirement that all landlords (slumlords included) must live in their buildings for at least one year every three years.
- A city-wide cap on holiday tipping.