Share this Article
We asked five New Yorkers to name the one thing they would change about their apartment if they could.Here’s what they had to say:
- More mail options: "I would change the ability to receive packages in my non-doorman building. Right now, I have my packages delivered to work or to my parents’ house in New Jersey!" -Julia, Prospect Heights
- Wishing a tree grew in Brooklyn: "The one thing I would change about my apartment is that I want a tree outside my window. In my experience, having a tree outside one's window is like having a friend when you are lonely. It's like having an art piece you didn't have to buy or frame. Plus you can tell if it's windy really easily." -Yael, Boerum Hill
- More light: "I’d prefer that all apartments would have a skylight. So you would get more sun into the apartment, and use less electricity." -Moses, Bronx
- A quieter space: "I live on a busy street, and although my apartment has lots of light, it also has lots of noise. If I could change one thing I would make the windows double-paned so that there would not be as much noise from the street." -Rafael, Downtown Brooklyn
- Less heat: "I wish we didn’t have the building’s heaters. They clang all night. We also live on a high floor so it gets really hot. We sleep with the air conditioner on in the winter." -Ben, UWS
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.