Share this Article
When you're looking for an apartment or writing out a monthly rent/maintenance/mortgage check with one too many zeroes, it can be useful to remind yourself why you're doing this in the first place.
In an UrbanBaby discussion entitled "Please remind why I live here in NYC?" the general consensus is that while housing is pretty much the worst thing (besides the homeless guy who tried to kick your dog this morning for no reason), there's a lot to savor too, including:
- Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
- No matter how depressed you are feeling you will say hi to a minimum of 10 people per day and you are constantly running into people you know.
- Best place to deliver a social justice lecture to your kids.
- Awesome public transportation.
- 500 restaurants located within a mile of any given apartment
- More people bike or walk to work than anywhere in America.
- It's not dominated by a single industry like DC or San Diego.
- The freedom to pursue different kinds of lifestyle without feeling like an outcast. You can be a vegan poet at a posh private school or a famous filmmaker/devout Jew with kids attending public school. If you can handle housing costs, you are free to be in NYC.
- The live and let live approach is great for kids that aren't part of the popular crowd.
- The suburbs suck the life out of your soul.
- You can see eight Vermeers during your lunch hour.
- Largest selection of AA meetings anywhere in the world.
For more reasons we love NYC, check out An ode to New York City, on Valentine's Day.