Feeling optimistic about the spring housing market? Thinking of moving outside of the city? Want to finally upgrade your living situation?
Whatever your reasons for selling, we recommend you check out BrickUnderground's resources for sellers.
First you'll need to decide whether you want to go it alone (For Sale By Owner -- or "FSBO" in industry speak) or would rather use a broker. Remember that a broker's commission isn't always set in stone (and that you can negotiate other details of the listing agreement too).
If you decide to go the broker route, you'll probably want tips on how to pick a winner. Sometimes the building broker can be the perfect person to sell your apartment, but if not, you can always consult BrickUnderground's Agent Referral Service for help.
And, of course, make sure that you're placing it on the market at a competitive enough price-point for the co-op board.
Even a perfectly priced apartment will require some sort of negotiation--here's how to prepare for that.
While, in theory, we'd all love to sell our places quickly and easily, sometimes it can take a while. Here are some reasons why. Or maybe it's the broker--or even the doorman's fault.
These posts and more below, all designed to help you through the (hopefully quick and painless) journey:
FSBO or broker?
- Read our FSBO diaries for real life adventures of one UWS couple selling bareback
- A broker's advice on how to negotiate the commission
- How to interview a broker to sell your apartment
- How to negotiate the listing agreement
- What not to tell your broker when you're selling
- Pros/cons of hiring the building broker
- Need help finding a good broker? BrickUnderground's Agent Referral Service can help
Get the place ready
- Basic photostaging tips
- Advanced photostaging tips
- Price that baby right - low enough to attract buyers, but high enough to pass the board
- See if the neighbors want to buy your place
- Make sure you're in line with comps
- How to make your building more appealing to buyers
- How to make your co-op building competitive with younger, sexier condos
- Make your bathroom more sellworthy
- Know where to skimp and splurge on your bathroom update
- Tips for selling a luxury apartment
- Open house survival guide & tips
- Here are some reasons why your apartment hasn't sold yet
- Maybe it's the broker...
- who may be feeling as desperate as you..
- Or maybe it's the doorman
- Is your doorman helping or hurting your sale?