Garbage trucks and tequila-soused co-eds aside, there are a few things every vertical dweller dreads hearing in the middle of the night....
- Death rattle from your a/c in a heat wave
- Doorman buzzing up your old boyfriend while your new one sleeps nude beside you
- That weird rolling marbles sound
- (after husband spent entire day hanging the new flatscreen) CRASH
- Cat going scratch-scratch-scratch in your Zen sand garden
- Paving trucks on Second Avenue drowning out the noise of subway construction
- Screaming from next door... Quiet... The doorbell... Neighbor dressed in boxers and undershirt: "Allie threw me out. Can I sleep here tonight?"
- "Aaaah! Something bit me!!!"
- Your 70-year-old neighbor having noisy sex with your 50-year old super
- Mid-romantic evening: "Do you think Duane Reade is still open? We're out of condoms."
10 ways to shame/annoy the neighbors into paying their common charges
10 things your building should have, but doesn't
NYC Real(i)ty Speak: 5 Groupons for vertical dwellers
5 signs your spouse is sleeping with 'a member of the household'
The Flat-Tip Bill, plus 7 other apartment laws we'd like to see
16 things I have learned since moving to NYC
7 things you need for your apartment that do not exist (yet)
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.