Share this Article
Mover-speak for the uninitiated:
- "We will pack everything for you." Translation: "The new owners will enjoy all your expensive sporting equipment."
- "You will never pay more than what you are quoted." Translation: "...unless your street is blocked off for subway construction and then you will have to pay a 20% percent surcharge."
- "We will be there at 8 am." Translation: "We will show up at 12:30 just in time to find you crying hysterically."
- "Man, this stuff is heavy." Translation: No translation needed and no extra gratuity given.
- "It's time for lunch... See you in a few..." Translation: "...hours, with a bill from the high-end sushi restaurant down the block."
Veronica X. is a Canadian by birth, an Upper West Sider by nature, and an Upper East Sider by choice and circumstance. She is presently looking to buy an apartment big enough for her family, her books, and her shoes - not necessarily in that order.