Imagine the kitchen of your dreams (dishwasher, double oven, wine cooler?) and pit it against the bathroom of your dreams (steam shower, double vanities, Jacuzzi?). We asked five New Yorkers about which tricked out room they'd choose if they could only have one.
- Getting steamy: I don’t cook, so I would definitely go for the bathroom. A steam shower after I get back from the gym? Unwind with my lady after a long day at work? That’s what I’m talking about. - Winston, Upper West Side
- A bathroom fit for the mall: I would love a luxury bathroom. I want a gorgeous tub to soak in, a separate shower, a vanity with ample storage and compartments for all my beauty stuff. Basically, I want it to look like a Sephora counter! Of course, I’d also like it to clean itself, because I hate cleaning the bathroom! - Virginia, Brooklyn
- A kitchen for entertaining: A tricked-out kitchen for sure! But none of the old stainless steel stuff. I’d love an Aga [stove]! With at least four baking compartments. In blue! And a built-in marble slab in the counter for rolling out pastry, a powerful vented hood, to help with the odors from all that cooking I’m going to be doing. And of course double drawer dishwashers, and a pantry! I love to entertain and have dinners and I think cooking with your guests is some of the best entertainment you can give. - Gabby, Harlem
- Bringing friends together over food, not a toilet: Since the kitchen is the heart of the home, I’d definitely prefer that over an elaborate bathroom. I mean, my guests and I spend a lot more time in the kitchen, eating and cooking, than we do in the bathroom. In fact, we never spend any time together in the bathroom. That’s just weird. Unless it’s a public bathroom. And even then I don’t like to spend too much time in there, I just want to do my thing and get out. But I do like to spend time with my friends over some food. So yeah, a nice big kitchen would be great. With lots of space for all my cooking gadgets. I have a ton of cooking gadgets. Not because I’m such a great cook, but because I’m not! - Schumer, Harlem
- Just make it work: I know how luxurious kitchens can get. But right now, I’d settle for just a decent one and I’d be happy! A lovely simple, clean, functioning fridge. A nice gas range, with a hood over it, and a dishwasher? Is that too much to ask? - Melissa, Bronx
Results: Culinary dreamers: 3; bathroom aficionados: 2
Winner: The kitchen
See all Would You Rather
Real Estate Want: A bathroom built for two
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.