"In the spring, a New Yorker's fancy turns to light thoughts of outdoor space," as Tennyson (almost) said. Sure, for many it's a mere fantasy, but we asked five city dwellers: Would you rather have a backyard or a terrace that's off the ground?
- Nature? No, thanks. Terrace, for sure. Are you kidding? The joys of outdoors minus the hassle of maintaining grass and shrubs? Plus, I know from experience just how mosquito infested backyards are. And I have really bad allergies. - Julie, Harlem
- Roof with a view As long as I can have people over and barbecue, I don’t really care! But I love the idea of a high terrace--rooftop!--with a view of the city! Plus I could always plant herbs and lemon trees or something, if I want it a little green. In fact, I can imagine I’d get more sunlight on a terrace anyway. Aren’t backyards in the city always walled in by townhouses? -Christy, Upper West Side
- As good as it gets A rooftop terrace is my dream! I have friends who invite us for a Fourth of July party every year, and it’s amazing. You can see the fireworks reflecting off the windows of the buildings closer to the water. The ultimate city experience. Plus, I really love a city view! - Anne, Upper West Side
- Space for flora and Fido I love to garden. So as long as I got enough light to do that in the backyard, I’d love to have even just a small expanse of green as part of my home. And I could reclaim my dog, who is living with my parents, without feeling guilty! I’d take him for his walks, of course, but a yard would give him just that bit more freedom. When I think about him, it makes me realize how confining city life can be sometimes! - Meghan, Brooklyn
- A smoker’s paradise I’d take a tiny terrace over a whole backyard. Just a little perch outside the apartment would be perfect for me. I’d love to be like a bird, observing things from above, even if it’s just down at my neighbors' backyards down below! And also, well, I smoke, occasionally, so… yeah, a terrace would be great. -Brent, Harlem
- To see, but not be seen If I wanted a backyard, I’d move into a house. A terrace with a view, any kind of view, even if it’s just other rooftops, or people’s third-floor apartments or something, would be cool. The backyards in the city that I can see are all overlooked by other houses. There’s no space in the city for any privacy when you’re down on the ground. You’re like fish in a barrel. - Terrence, Lower East Side
Winner: Terrace, in a landslide!
Verdict: Terrace: 4; Backyard: 1
**Offer your own thoughts in the comments section below. We'd love to hear them!
Would you rather save on a fixer-upper or splurge on a move-in ready place?
Would you rather have a wi-fi-enabled work space or a tricked-out roof deck?
Would you rather have a part-time doorman or a full-time remote doorman?
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.