Central air-conditioning, a skylight that actually lets in light and soundproof windows … six New Yorkers us how their city dwellings might be improved.
- Climate change I hate leaving my air conditioned bedroom in the summer and bathing in sweat by the time I reach my front door to leave. I wish I had central A/C so the temperature would be even and well-regulated throughout the apartment. -Curtis, Astoria
- The siren call of soundproofed windows I live on a street that doesn’t allow any parking on the either side.That’s because it’s the through street for the fire trucks when they race through, sirens blasting. I love my street and neighborhood, so I don’t want to move. But I’d love soundproof windows. - Heinz, Hamilton Heights
- A skylight that shows the sky and gives light I live on the top floor of a brownstone. One of my favorite features of my place were the skylights--especially in the kitchen, which is in the middle of the floor and gets no light otherwise. But a few months ago the landlord had the whole skylight sealed and painted over with dark goop because apparently there were cracks. So there goes that. -April, Morningside Heights
- Smokey smells of summer I wish my neighbors didn’t grill. We all have great balconies. But when one person barbeques, the smoke always gets into my apartment. - Patrick, Harlem
- This is what self-storage is for… We need to de-clutter. We’re sisters and roommates and when our parents moved, they gave us all our junk that were previously stored in their suburban basement and garage: bikes, tents, dorm room furniture and kitchen ware and all our old clothes and books. - Janice and Ally, Clinton
- ...apropos self-storage We need to convert the home office into a nursery! And the hallway closet into an office nook. - Andrew, Upper West side
Find Your Next Home
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.