Share this Article
Furniture that wasn't found on the street, a functional security system and neighbors who don't take "the city that never sleeps" as their personal mantra. Five New Yorkers share what's at the top of their home(life) improvement wish list.
- Up all night: My bedroom faces the bedroom of my neighbor about 5 feet away (It's an H-shaped building). For no reason I can divine they sometimes leave their lights on all night and the light shines right into my room. What are two old people doing up all night? I probably need some blackout shades. - Alexis, Harlem
- Reclaimed, salvaged... whatever: Time for a make-over. I'd like to re-do my living room. It's not comfortable, not conducive to lounging. We have two chairs that are street finds, which we "paired" with a cheapo Ikea table. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but we're over it. It's time take the space to the next, more adult level. - Rachel, Jackson Heights
- ... and speaking of make-overs: My bedroom is not very warm and inviting. It's kind of cavernous, with just a low, minimalist bed on the floor. Frankly, it reminds me of a Montessori bedroom. - Adam, DUMBO
- A serious matter of security: Since we switched from one cable/internet provider to another, I can't watch the channel where we can see who is at our building's front door, and the one that shows whether the laundry room is full or not. I'd really like that back. Saves me the hassle of going to the basement laundry just to haul all my stuff back up because there are no machines left. - Lena, Morningside Heights
- Taking it back to the old school, coz he's an old fool, who is so cool and in need of a storage solution: I need more storage media storage. I know it's all about converting things to digital... but I love my LPs and I have a lot of them. Media storage is often so ugly, though. - Marc, Williamsburg