A scratched-up tub, oppressive heat, and too many stairs. Sound familiar? They're among the things these six New Yorkers would change about their abodes if they could:
- Some peace and quiet: I would do a better job soundproofing -- I live right across from the elevator and can always hear footsteps. - Sarah, Chelsea
- Some help with my walk-up: I live on the fourth floor of a walk-up. One of those stair lift seats would be awesome. I know I’d look stupid taking it up the stairs but some days, it’s just one flight too many. - Steve, Upper West Side
- A break from doing the dishes: I really, really want a dishwasher. And access to the roof, where, if it were up to me, there would be a great roof deck. - Martin, Hamilton Heights
- A tub upgrade: I would love to change my bathroom. The landlord agreed to have the tub reglazed a while ago. Then there was a leak from the upstairs and the men who came to repair my ceiling scratched up the tub again. I’d gut the bathroom if I could. - Carol, Sunnyside
- Less heat in the winter months: Well, I find it really frustrating that our landlord pumps up the heat during the winter and we have to have our windows open. It's the worst energy efficiency but there's nothing we can do about it. He won't lower the heat. Don't know why. But then again I'd complain too if it were too cold. - Del, Fort Greene
- A kitchen fit for a cook: I want a whole new kitchen! I want to change everything: more and better counters, new appliances new everything, including a new paint job. And not just a new paint job in the kitchen. The whole apartment is just too white right now. - Heather, Harlem
Brick Underground articles occasionally include the expertise of, or information about, advertising partners when relevant to the story. We will never promote an advertiser's product without making the relationship clear to our readers.