Share this Article
At the end of a renovation, there is something called a 'punch' list - the last little things that need fixing before the final bill is paid.
Is it called a punch list because, at this stage of the game, all the players (apartment owner, coop board, neighbors, contractor, decorator, etc.) want to punch each other? Hopefully not.
Still... While we don't recommend actually getting physical, here is a punch list we would like to see:
- Workman who ripped the vintage wallpaper in the hall and cost the owners both money and goodwill with the board - PUNCH!
- Coop board member who nixed the plans for a washer-dryer while she enjoys her own - PUNCH!
- Plumber who reversed the hot and cold taps - PUNCH!
- Spouse who decides he/she really doesn't like the brand-new shutters after all and didn't you keep the old window treatments just in case. - PUNCH!
- Friend who says, "I know a guy who could have done this job for half what you paid." - PUNCH!
(Veronica X is working on her actual punch list. Only #1 is from personal experience.)
Veronica X. is a Canadian by birth, an Upper West Sider by nature, and an Upper East Sider by choice and circumstance. She has finally found an apartment big enough for her family, books, and shoes and is now in the process of renovating it.