Share this Article
"I live in a million dollar apartment and I still have to go to the basement to do laundry. We call it the million dollar hovel. Stupid real estate," grouses an apartment-dweller in an UrbanBaby.com discussion sparked by this statement: "I have a washer and dryer in the kitchen of my million dollar apartment. This is not what my grandmother would have considered progress."
But as the posts that follow make clear, w/d is just another way of saying The Good Life, whether the appliances are kept veiled in a closet or on full display mid-room--and however expensive the apartment:
- "I'd be happy with a washer and dryer in my bedroom if that's what it took."
- "Everything's relative. My apartment is worth a fourth of yours. and I am thrilled that we were able to squeeze a washer and dryer into our bathroom."
- "Boo-hoo for you. Anybody got change for the laundromat?"
- "Please I have one that is not behind doors and stacked and I consider myself lucky!"
- "Ours is a bit under $1 mil, but we just have the washer and no dryer. However, I'm still thrilled to have that!"
Bottom Line: "It's all about perspective. Buying a 2.3M apartment and THRILLED to be able to put a stackable in the closet in the kitchen. I consider that huge progress over schlepping to the laundromat."