They say moving can be one of the biggest stresses of a person's life. We agree. So this week's SurvivalList is designed to make your move a little bit less daunting.
Chances are you'll be using some sort of moving company (we hope!), but before you sign any contract we recommend reading our guide to the most common moving scams and the best ways to avoid them. (Also, in case you were wondering, 15-20 percent is the right amount to tip a mover who doesn't scam you.)
To make everything more organized, and less stressful, you may want to use Unpakt, an online service that helps you plan your move and compare prices.
If you're feeling particularly brave (or broke) and plan to move yourself, our former Rental Rookie has some U-Haul tips (hint: smaller is better).
If you're moving post-bed bugs, our Bedbugged! columnist can advise you both on how to move and how NOT to move . If you've been bed bug free and just want to bed-bug proof your move, you'll likely rejoice at the way some moving companies are protecting against the critters.
For these, and more moving-related posts, see below:
Tips from the experts (and semi-experts):
- 10 minutes with Zvi Manor, mover
- Rental Rookie: In NYC, stick with the smallest U-Haul
- Rental Rookie's moving-day lessons
Bedbugs and your move:
- Bedbugged! The right way to move
- Bedbugged! How NOT to move
- How to bed bug-proof your move
- A step toward bed-bug free moving trucks
Organizing your move:
- Unpakt, find the best movers at the best price, sign contracts you can understand and manage your whole move online
All different types of moves:
- From the city to the 'burbs
- Moving down the hall (or somewhere in the same building)
- Moving to a new neighborhood