With walls as thin as they are in most NYC apartments, you’ve probably heard your neighbors knocking boots a time or two (or 20). But are you worried about your neighbors overhearing you? Here are some ways to stay off their radar (and not get 311 called on you so often you end up on the news):
- Turn up the TV or crank up the music.
- Relocate to whichever part of your apartment shares the fewest walls with a neighbor.
- Close the windows.
- Put your mattress on the floor to keep squeaking to a minimum. Not exactly practical? Oil the frame and tighten all the screws to make it less likely to squeak.
- Stuff pillows between the wall and bed frame to act as shock absorbers. Or, just move the bed away from the wall. Or, move to the couch.
- Try a white noise machine like the Sound+Sleep white noise machine. As you and your partner get louder, the sound gets louder and richer.
For more, read “How to be a quiet, sexy neighbor.”
In Case You Missed It: Every so often, BrickUnderground digs through the archives to find the best advice our experts have shared through the years.