It's been a long and snowy road and we thought we'd never get here, but we're officially at that point in the year when bulky sweaters can be packed away to make room for lighter—and, dare we say, more spring-appropriate—clothing.
We're inclined to agree with organizer Jeffrey Phillip, who once told us to do the clothes switch/closet organization while it's still somewhat "cold and dark. Once the good weather arrives you will be less likely to want to be inside rifling through stuff. And if it gets to the nice weather you might be encouraged to keep putting it off. "
In case you need a little help in the closet department, we have some advice:
- Get footwear off the floor, invest in slimmer hangers, and more tips for eking out space in your closet (BrickUnderground)
- Store sweaters high or low, and swap out dry cleaning hangers when storing off-season clothes (Apartment Therapy)
- Believe it or not, you can whip your closet into shape for way less less than $100 -- think adjustable closet rods and over-the-door shoe organizers (BrickUnderground)
- Kids' closets have certain essentials too -- like two or three levels of hanging rods, a hamper and a stepping stool (Elle Decor)
- In New York, it's not enough to go through your stuff and edit once a year, according to a professional organizer. Do it at least twice annually (BrickUnderground)
- If you want to join the "cult" of organization, you may want to read Marie Kondo's best-selling book, "The Lifesaving Magic of Tidying Up." (Wall Street Journal)
- And if closet porn is more your style or your simply looking for inspiration, check out celebrity closets that'll make you drool -- Nate Berkus and Nanette Lepore among them (Elle Decor)
- Or you could peruse some pretty great closets that are available NYC right this minute— for a price, of course (amNewYork)
- You could also act like a real New Yorker, skip the whole "closet" thing and turn yours into a bedroom (Refinery 29)
- But if your apartment's just not big enough to store last season's clothes and accessories, you may just need to clear them out. Manhattan Mini Storage — a Brick sponsor — offers a free move, free shelves and up to 20% off when you rent a unit for four months or longer (BrickUnderground)