Just when you thought NYC apartments couldn't get any smaller, the city up and announces a pilot program which will see the construction of a building full of micro-units, ranging from 250-370 square feet. (Note, if the pilot project is a success, expect many more of these types of places hitting the market--at well under market rates.)
When we heard the news, our 700-square-foot apartment suddenly felt enormous and we thanked our lucky stars for all that breathing room. But then we got to thinking... there are some upsides to living in such a tiny space:
- Your cleaning lady will be in and out in 15 minutes.
- You can feel young again--like college freshman young.
- One night stands are exactly that.
- You'll never have to host a holiday meal--or out of town guests.
- You might lose your mind in there, but never your phone, or keys.
- You can clean your floor with your toothbrush and dustbust the living room with your hairdryer.
- It's a good impetus to stay thin....and/or recover from your online shopping addiction.
- You simply won't have room for those ugly housewarming gifts.
- Your electricity bill will be lower than your monthly Starbucks tab.
- You get to live in NYC. Who cares how small the apartment is?