The Real.Est List
Board life, after the interview
We've already coached you on how to pass your co-op board interview, but there's more to interacting with the board than getting past the interview stage. For this week's SurvivalList roundup, we'll focus on life beyond the very beginning, and how best to live with a board.
Those who live with a co-op board probably have questions about how much power that board has --like whether a double-digit maintenance increase is legal or, on the flip side, the board might offer you a break on maintenance in case of divorce -- and we've got answers.
Through the years we've also covered some difficult cases, like the true story of a corrupt condo board, and have offered our readers advice on curing a dysfunctional co-op (even, in the worst case scenario, ways to use an investigative lawyer in a co-op or condo).
And if you're thinking about switching over to the other side and joining the co-op or condo board, you may want to peruse posts from one of our expert sponsors, like "The 7 biggest surprises for rookie board members," "How to run for the board and win" and "5 secrets of successful boards."
For these, and more, board-related posts, see below:
Is my co-op board allowed to...
- Demand proof of insurance for big deliveries?
- Cut me a break on my maintenance now that my ex moved out?
- Give me a double-digit maintenance increase?
- Deprive renters of bike space?
- Ban an incompetent broker?
- Make our neighbor's loud dog wear a bark collar?
- Not tell the board that my boyfriend moved out?
- Leave my 19-year-old in my apartment without co-op board approval?
- Demand the board pay for defective windows in a co-op?
- Signs of a toxic co-op
- 6 rules for dealing with unstable co-op owners (Sponsored)
- Best of Brick: "My condo was corrupt"
- Ask an Expert: Corrupt board president, kickbacks, and a leaky roof
- 4 neat ways to use an investigative lawyer in a co-op or condo
- Curing a dysfunctional co-op
Thinking about joining the board?
- The 7 biggest surprises for rookie board members (Sponsored)
- Ask an Expert: How to run for the board and win
- The 5 secrets of successful boards (Sponsored)
- 6 tips for holding an annual meeting instead of a bloodbath (Sponsored)
- NYC Real(i)ty Speak: So you're running for the board
- Approval, schmoovel! Renovation perks for board members
- Spilling board secrets to a spouse
- The care and feeding of a board member
- 5 things your condo board should know before spending thousands on a building inspection (Sponsored)
- Ask an Expert: Can my condo board take the rental income on my apartment?
- A condo board member explains why it's all your fault
- Lesson to condo board in breast-feeding battle: Don't mess with Mother Nature