The Real.Est List
10 things you didn't know were covered by renter's insurance
If you think renter's insurance basically just protects you against fires and burglaries, think again.
There are any number of unexpected--and financially painful--scenarios in which you will find yourself very, very glad you have renter's insurance.
Here are just a few, courtesy of the folks at NYC apartment insurance brokerage Gotham Brokerage Co., Inc.:
1. Your clothes go up in smoke at the dry cleaners.
2. You run into someone with your bike (by accident!) and get sued.
3. United Airlines loses your luggage – for good this time.
4. Howard, your miniature Schnauzer, snaps after an admittedly trying summer: When the 168th Canadian tourist squeals and tries to take his picture, Howie autographs the tourist with his teeth.
5. A friend stops by, trips over your latest Costco haul, and breaks a newly capped tooth.
6. A thief plunders the basement storage area and rides off on your new mountain bike.
7. While filling the bathtub, you get distracted reading Fifty Shades of The New Yorker, and the tub overflows into the apartment below.
8. While your toddler flushes hot dogs down your toilet, you get distracted reading Fifty Shades of The New Yorker, and the toilet overflows into the apartment below.
9. Possibly out of spite, your downstairs neighbor plugs too many appliances into an outlet, setting her apartment on fire, and you have to stay in a hotel while repairs/cleaning are done.
10. A power surge hits your building and fries your beautiful new flat screen television.
Bottom line: Even if your building doesn’t burn down in a catastrophic fire, the $120 or so you spend a year on renter’s insurance may turn out to be the best investment you’ve ever made.
For a free quote, click on over to Gotham Brokerage or give them a call at 212-406-7300.
Gotham Brokerage Co., Inc., an insurance brokerage, has been serving NYC renters, co-op and condo owners for over 45 years.
Also by Gotham: