The Real.Est List
Room for Improvement: A wish for better water pressure, and a view of something other than an alley
From dark-as-a-cave apartments to showers with little pressure to inconvenient laundry times, these five New Yorkers have plenty they’d like to see fixed up in their abodes.
- Say goodbye to the crypt: “The one thing that I would change about my apartment is the complete lack of natural sunlight. The only window in my entire apartment is in my bedroom. We have nicknamed my apartment The Cave because you can be sitting in the living room at 2 p.m. on a beautiful sunny afternoon and it could just as easily be midnight.” - Emily, East Village
- A view that doesn't make me sick: “What would I change? I’d have to go with my view. The windows all face the alleys of the neighboring buildings where trash and other detritus is kept. To make matters worse, the neighbor directly underneath me has roughly a 15x15 terrace which is entirely unkempt and covered with dead plants, plastic bags, buckets, and sheets of plywood and glass. On my third day of living in this apartment, I glanced out my window onto the terrace and saw a rat, feverishly attempting to escape from a bucket filled with just enough rain water so as to make it an even more perilous situation. For whatever reason, another rat came to the call and it too fell into the bucket. I don't look out my windows much anymore.” - Mike, Chinatown
- Total facial reconstruction: “The last time we did a major overhaul (in terms of renovating the space) was in 1997. A mere Botox treatment won't do--think full-on facial reconstruction. This includes but is not limited to: updating the cabinet system in the kitchen, putting in new molding, re-staining the hardwood floors, gutting the bathroom, and putting in new tiles, fixtures, and shower door.” - Brian, Chelsea
- Washer-dryer independence: “I want a washer and dryer in my unit. There is laundry machine inside my building in the basement, but the hours are very inconvenient. The last wash is at 4 p.m.! I always have to do laundry on the weekends, but obviously everyone else does too, so it’s extremely busy.” - Russell, Fort Greene
- Water pressure/drainage boost: "I wish my plumbing was better. My shower pressure isn't as potent as I'd like it to be and my bathroom sink tends to get backed up." - Dave, Spanish Harlem