The Real.Est List
Room for Improvement: Natural sunlight, a better layout, fewer caterpillars
We asked five New Yorkers what they'd change about their apartments. Light, layout and common bathrooms topped their lists.
- "The lack of natural sunlight. We live on the 4th floor facing the back of other buildings. Sunlight comes shooting through our apartment only between the hours of 10-12 - two hours of natural sunlight!" - Calvin, Upper West Side
- "My awkward layout is something I'd love to change. I live in a studio, and for some reason, the kitchen is almost as large as the living/sleeping space. I'm tempted to use half of my kitchen as my "living" space, but let's be honest - no matter what, I'll feel like I'm watching TV in my kitchen." - Laura, Sunnyside
- "I wish I didn't have to go into our creepy courtyard and re-enter through an even creepier door to do laundry. Makes me second guess how important it is to wear clean clothes." - Michelle, Lower East Side
- "We got an amazing deal on a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom apartment in the heart of the Upper West Side. But we got the deal because there are no common bathrooms. All of the bathrooms are en suite - which means, when we have a party or friends over, they have to traipse through one of our bedrooms to use the loo." - Keri, Upper East Side
- "Every summer, an infestation of caterpillars converge on my entire apartment building. They're on the doorstep, they're crawling on windows, and they're sneaking in through open cracks in windows, and no one knows why this happens. It's so disgusting!" Will, Upper East Side