The Real.Est List
NYC Real(i)ty Speak: If Upper East Side public schools could talk...
School re-zoning is finally a reality for the 2012 kindergarden class. Those bumped out of their preferred schools are trading conspiracy theories while scrambling for private school applications and/or considering a move to a different zone or (gasp) to suburban climes. Meanwhile, many PSs stand for something a little different than they did last year, like these on the Upper East Side:
- PS 290 (coveted school zone made smaller to ease overcrowding): Now with more legroom!
- PS 6 (public school in poshest 'hood least affected by changes): What happens in 6 stays in 6.
- PS 183 (school where most of the hospital/Rockefeller University kids go): Smaller district, bigger brains.
- PS 267 (brand new and still moving buildings) - Your guess is as good as ours.
- PS 158: The amount in thousands your property values went down since you were booted out of PS 290.
Veronica X. is a Canadian by birth, an Upper West Sider by nature, and an Upper East Sider by choice and circumstance. She has finally found an apartment big enough for her family, books, and shoes and is now in the process of renovating it.