The Real.Est List
Top 18 contractor excuses: "It will look better in the morning"
Having renovated before, they would do it again, swear the battle-scarred but intrepid renovators comparing notes on Brownstoner.com's forum, who toss off some famous-last-contractor words as they stroll down memory lane ("I do this all the time," "I can fix it," and "It won't be messy," figure prominently in Things My Contractor Said).
As for what contractors say when something goes amiss and they have no intention of correcting it--at least not within the scope ($$) of the job--some choice phrases plucked from the collective renovator consciousness include:
- It'll look better in the morning after you've slept on it.
- That's as good as it gets.
- You're making a big deal out of nothing.
- I don't know how that happened.
- No one else has ever complained before.
- The last guy wasn't any good.
- This has never ever happened to me before.
- You don't appreciate my services?!
- No one will notice that.
- It's an old house, you have to expect that.
- We'll take care of that at the end.
- That wasn't in the plans.
- I ran out of money and can't continue unless you give me more.
- I'm still waiting on the supplier. (Translation: I haven't paid him yet.)
- I thought I told you.
- Didn't they tell you?
- This is what you requested.
- Don't worry, it wipes off.